Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Auld Lang SyIsland



 
After completing an interesting and adventurous few days in China, I boarded a plane with my co-teacher Heather bound for the Philippines to enjoy the New Year in sun and sand.  The final destination was Boracay Island, a blip on the map only 10.32 square kilometers in size but overflowing with energy.

 

Home to White Beach, which on more than one occasion has been voted the best tropical beach in the world, Boracay Island is tougher to get to than I initially imagined.  An easy flight into the capital city of Manila was the first leg, a quick connection to Kalibo, then an hour and a half van ride through the winding streets and thick jungles of the Aklan province, spilling you into the small port town of Caticlan where you boarded a rickety old ferry bound for paradise.


During this journey I began to second guess my decision to travel to the Philippines.  While crammed in the small rundown van that harbored us like fugitives, I looked out into a world I didn’t know really existed; narrow dirt roads filled with small half naked children playing in puddles, men with no shoes walking through thick foliage carrying wooden buckets of water for their families, old run down shacks with thatched roofs and no doors.  The kind of poverty I’d only ever seen on the cover of the three year old National Geographic in the waiting room at the dentist’s office.  A real life example of people who had nothing.  I certainly didn’t imagine my tropical vacation would provide a humbling experience of this nature.


After a nice long rickshaw ride from the port on Boracay we were greeted with open arms at Alta Vista De Boracay, our vacation retreat for the remainder of our week.  The beds were comfortable, the room’s balcony had a great view, the infinity pool overlooked luscious green jungle mountains and the on site restaurant was incredible.  Being nestled on the crest of one of the Island’s northern mountains made for a nice buffer zone between us and the hustle and bustle of white beach.  A short shuttle ride provided by the resort landed us in the middle of the most energetic stretch of land I’ve ever been to.  There were people everywhere, restaurants grilling up the best smelling food, music coming from every direction and no shortage of vendors trying to sell me fake Oakleys.  I spent most of my time reading in the sand or eating at beachside grills and I think the relaxed nature of the people was good for me.  It lifted a lot of stress off my shoulders and prepared me for my return to Korea where my students were waiting…ready to undue my newfound tranquility.


No comments:

Post a Comment